PLEASE NOTE: Course Cancelled – Please contact us @ firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Out of stock
MWM in Sports: A Specialized Course in Sports Therapy and Manual Sports Medicine is a practical and interactive two intensive days of Mobilizations with Movement (MWM) as applies to sports-related physiotherapy and manual sports medicine. While recognizing the multidimensional nature of the musculoskeletal system and the biopsychosocial elements involved and the necessity of multidisciplinary approaches, this course deals mainly with the health and function of the articular system and its implications on sports function and performance.
The MWM in Sports was initiated in 2011 by Brian R. Mulligan (NZ), Robert Rosetti NES (USA), and Josef M. Andersen (DK). The content is based on Brian Mulligan’s published principles and Josef Andersen’s decades of experience applying MWMs in sports-specific contexts (MWMS).
Further developments of initial screening tests, treatment techniques, and reasoning strategies were applied to multiple body regions; upper cervical spine, shoulder, ribcage, hip, pelvis, and ankle. These reasoning strategies, tests, and treatment techniques are integrated and exclusive to this hands-on lab course.
The course aims at preparing the therapist to deal with athletes at all levels and facilitate the return of the sportsperson to sports after an injury that has affected participation for a longer period than usual. The emphasis of this course is like Brian Mulligan’s MWMs, where the key component of interest is narrowed to optimal functional movements, and the target of assessment and treatment is the articular system.
The therapist will learn to identify movement disorders and restrictions that may limit the athlete’s function and performance level. The therapist will also learn how to create and develop effective MWMS for any given clinical presentation. For example, to create an MWMS for the hip joint for a basketball player experiencing groin pain during acceleration or to create an MWMS for a tennis player who experiences right-sided lumbar pain during a serve. An effective MWMS will then serve as part of the treatment or overall management. Part of the course is conducted in a GYM to assist the therapist in practicing and implementing MWMS principles as these apply to training instruments.
The course delivers an up-to-date clinical reasoning framework offering multiple simple pathways that may assist the therapist in recognizing some of the key elements that affect the athlete’s performance. Accuracy in the assessment process of MWMs and knowledge of MWMs will enhance the therapist’s accuracy and effectiveness in managing the athletes and creating valuable solutions.
This course is intensive, practical, challenging, fun, and guaranteed to be a great learning experience for every therapist wishing to enhance his/her knowledge and manual skills in sports therapy. You can start applying the content of this course immediately after the course in clinical practice.
Josef has instructed MWM in Sports in the following countries, including Denmark, Sweden, Belgium, Israel, Tunisia, Palestine, Jordan, Russia, Armenia, and Ukraine.
Quotes from some of my favorite responses to this course:
- ‘A Swedish sports doctor with many years of experience also with the Mulligan Concept.’
- ‘This course was vitamins to the brain’
- ‘I wish MWM in Sports existed when I was a tennis player. This is a gift to athletes and trainers.´ (A professional tennis player)
- ‘I noticed that my Belgian and Dutch colleagues were using Mulligan MWM in Sports and I did not take the time to learn and wish I had 35 years ago. It is never too late.’ (A seventy-year-old Olympic sports doctor and author who represented Russia and Ukraine in six Olympics mentioned in an interview)
June 17-18, 2023 (Saturday - Sunday)
Physical Course Location:
MOTION Sports Medicine
160 East 56th St
New York, NY 10022 - #212-355-7822
Hotel Suggestions: (all within 5 minutes to facility)
1) Hotel 57 New York City, 130 E 57th St, New York, NY 10022 - #212-753-8841
2) Concorde Hotel New York, 127 E 55th St., New York, NY 10022 - #212-355-2755
3) Courtyard by Marriott NY Manhattan/Midtown East, 866 3rd Ave, NY, NY 10022 - #212-644-1300
4) Hilton Garden Inn New York, Manhattan Midtown East, 206 E 52nd St., NY, NY 10022 – 212-794-6000
5) Pod 51 Hotel, 230 East 51st St., New York, NY 10022 - #844-763-7666
6) Carvi Hotel New York, 152 East 55th Street, New York, NY 10022 - #212-752-0600
Times: (13 Hours)
Registration: 8:00 am
8:30 am - 4:30 pm (both days)
Start date: June 17, 2023
End date: June 18, 2023
Start time: 08:30 a.m.
End time: 04:30 p.m.
Venue: MOTION Sports Medicine
Address: 160 East 56th St., New York, NY 10022
Attendee pre-requisite: Completion of at least one Mulligan Upper or Lower Quadrant course.
The Mulligan Concept courses are intended for only licensed physical therapists and other clinicians whose scope of practice includes mobilization/manipulative therapy. (PT, MD, DO, DC, OT)
In order for PTA’s or ATC’s to attend, your state must allow you to perform mobilization/manipulative therapy.
This course is 50% hands-on so come dressed to learn.
- Wear loose, comfortable lab clothing (with long hair pulled back)
Course Evaluation: Yes
Certificate of Completion: Yes
Workbook: Yes (provided at the course when you check in at registration)
The efficacy of this approach can be quickly and easily ascertained in clinic. MWM skills will be learned and it is an expectation of this course that those therapists with a normal caseload will find an immediate improvement in outcome measures with patients with restricted and/or painful movement.
Each agenda item consists of Live Lecture and Lab Participation/Assessment. Typically, at least 50% of the agenda item is dedicated to Lab Participation/Assessment.
Day 1: (8:00am Registration)
|8:30am||9:15||Welcome, Introduction to MWMs
Theoretical background and case presentations
The history and development of MWMs
|9:15am||9:45am||THE CERVICAL SPINE
Overview: Assessment & Management of the cervical spine in athletes. The cervical spine in relation to headaches and concussionA proposed clinical reasoning algorithm for assessment and management of the cervical spine and associated symptoms in sports.
|9:45am||10:30am||Testing and palpation of the cervical spine (side lying, sitting).
MWMS for the upper cervical spine: MWMS for C0-C1, C1-C2, C2-C3 MWMS combined C0/1 & C1/2
|10:50am||11:20am||The Cervicothoracic Junction (CTJ)
The importance of CTJ in the management of neck disorders including headaches and concussion-related symptoms.
The BRIDGE technique.
|11:20am||12:00pm||Practice the Bridge technique.|
|1:00pm||2:45pm||THE RIB CAGE
Theoretical and clinical perspective: The ribcage’s function in relation to the thoracic spine and shoulder.
|4:20pm||4:30pm||Q&A and final word|
|8:30am||10:30||THE LUMBAR SPINE
Low back pain in sports and the implications for performance.
The involvement of the hip and pelvis in LBP presentations:
|11:00am||12:00pm||THE HIP & PELVIS
A proposal for assessment and management of hip and pelvis-related disorders in sports.
A proposed algorithm for differential clinical diagnosis between the Lumbar spine, Pelvis, or Hip.
|1:00pm||2:30pm||MWMS for the knee
MWMS for the ankle
MWMS for ankle instability in football and fighting sports.
MWMS for posterior impingement in jumping sports.
Clinical reasoning points to the knee and ankle and foot.
|2:30pm||3:00pm||MWMS at the GYM
A demonstration of MWMS in the Gym
Safety principles, working space principles
Creating an MWMS as needed for specific exercises.
Review of group assignments
- The participant is expected to expand their level of knowledge and manual skills when working with athletes at all levels.
- The participant will gain a broader understanding of utilizing MWM as an assessment treatment option for clients complaining of pain and/or limitations associated with participation in sports.
- The participant will learn to utilize key clinical reasoning principles as applied in sports physiotherapy and sports medicine.
- The participant will increase his/her depth of knowledge and manual skills in relation to sports injuries and rehabilitation.
- The participant will learn to create specific mobilizations with movement as applied to sports (MWMS).
- The participant will learn methods to create self-mobilizations for the most common conditions that are encountered in sports clinics.
- The participant will learn to apply MWMS in the Gym as part of his/her regular intervention when dealing with the rehabilitation of common sports injuries.
- The participant will learn to use MWMS as part of floor exercises.
- The participant is expected to treat a boxer with MWMS for shoulder pain and limitation.
- The participant is expected to treat a weightlifter for knee pain during squats.
- The participant is expected to treat a dancer for groin pain or limitation during a split.
- CE Approved for PTs and PTAs covering the following states AL, AZ, AR, DE, HI, ID, IN, IA, KS, KY, ME, MA, MI, MT, NE, NH, NY, NC, ND, OR, SC, SD, UT, VT, WA, WI, WY
- Northeast Seminars (BOC AP#P498) is approved by the Board of Certification, Inc. to provide continuing education to Athletic Trainers. This program is eligible for a maximum of 13 Category A hours/CEUs. ATs should claim only those hours actually spent in the educational program.
- Certificate of attendance is provided for Continuing Education (CE) credits, 13 hours
- Seminar includes coffee breaks and handouts. Lunch is not included.
- Certificates of Attendance will be given to all participants and may be used for those who need C.E.U. verification and credits.
- Participants will be required to sign a Release of Liability prior to the commencement of this seminar.
- Location, Instructor, Dates and Cost of seminar are subject to change.
- For group rate accommodations, please call hotel directly and be sure to mention Northeast Seminars. A limited number of rooms are reserved for participants, when available, on a first-come, first-served basis. Within 30 days of the course, rooms and/or rates may no longer be available. If the course is to be held at a facility, Northeast only provides suggested hotels nearby for room accommodations.
Portions Copyright© Northeast Seminars Inc. All rights reserved.
You may also like…
- Self-Treatments for Back, Neck and Limbs: A New Approach, 3rd Edition – New!
- This self-help guide is designed to help the patient gain exercise independence by learning concepts…
- Brian Mulligan’s Taping Techniques: RxDVD
- This DVD is a must have for all clinicians, no matter their level of experience.…
Course Length: 12 hours
- Mulligan Concept (MCTA) Online Bundle
- Thousands of professionals worldwide have discovered the benefits of mastering The Mulligan Concept that includes…