Course Location: The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa
- Event Details
- Course Details
- Course Objectives
- Additional Info
Evidence-Based Shoulder Treatment Course
This new course is designed to provide clinicians with the most recent and state-of-the-art information in the treatment of patient injuries/dysfunctions of the shoulder joint complex.
The course will specifically discuss treatments for specific types of athletes but also the everyday orthopaedic patient. It will cover the most current evidence-based treatment approaches to various shoulder injuries, pathologies, and surgeries.
Through lecture presentations, videos of rehabilitation techniques and surgeries, demonstrations, hands-on laboratory sessions, open discussions, and problem-solving of patient case studies, attendees will have an opportunity to master new and effective evaluation and treatment techniques and strategies.
Case studies of patients will be presented by the course instructor but also by course participants. These case studies will be followed by evidence-based problem-solving discussions, providing a comprehensive learning experience.
Course participants will have the opportunity to learn from lectures and through open discussions of case studies. This interactive approach ensures a thorough understanding of the material and its practical application.
March 8-9, 2024 - (Friday - Saturday)
COURSE TIMES: Registration @ 7:30 am,
Day 1: 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Day 2: 7:30 am - 2:30 pm
A digital course manual is provided and will be emailed the week of this event.
Course Location for live event:
The Westshore Grand, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Tampa
4860 West Kennedy Boulevard
Tampa FL 33609
- Parking -complimentary self-parking
- Complimentary Wi-Fi in Lodging rooms
- Complimentary Shuttle Service to Tampa International Airport
- Courtesy Block – Click to book your overnight room online (4-week cut-off 2/9/24 by 5pm (rates available 3 days pre & post based on availability)
Start date: March 08, 2024
End date: March 09, 2024
Start time: 07:30 a.m.
End time: 02:30 p.m.
Venue: The Westshore Grand
Address: 4860 West Kennedy Boulevard, Tampa, FL 33609
Register by February 9th, 2024 at discounted rate or $449.00 & SAVE $50.00
(Full Price Both Days: $499.00)
About Kevin Wilk, PT, DPT, FAPTA:
Kevin E. Wilk served as President of the Sports Section of the APTA from 6/2007 to 6/2010 and has trained more than 6,000 professionals through hands-on seminars and spoken to tens of thousands at more than 800 events worldwide.
Kevin Wilk has been a physical therapist, researcher and educator for over 39 years. Kevin is currently Associate Clinical Director and Co-Founder for Champion Sports Medicine (a Select Medical Facility) in Birmingham, AL. Dr. Wilk is also the Vice-President of clinical research and education for Select Medical.
In addition, he is the Director of Rehabilitative Research at the American Sports Medicine Institute in Birmingham and is Adjunct Assistant Professor in the Physical Therapy Program at Marquette University in Milwaukee, WI. Dr Wilk received his physical therapy from Northwestern University Medical School in Chicago, IL, and his DPT from Massachusetts General Hospital Institute of HealthCare Professions in Boston, MA.
Run Time: 2 Days (13 hours)
Attendees: Physical Therapists, Physical Therapy Assistants, Athletic Trainers, Occupational Therapists, M.D.’s and Students
- Lab clothing:
- Tank top or halter top to expose the shoulder
- & or shorts to expose the knee
- A mat (or blanket), a pillow, and a large towel for lab table.
- Also, bring a sense of humor and your brain for some new concepts & thoughts!
Course Evaluation: Yes
Certificate of Completion
Course Workbook (digital copy provided via email prior to start of the course)
- Certificate of attendance is provided for Continuing Education
- Approved for 12.5 CE hours for PTs and PTAs in the following states;
AL, AR, CT, DE, HI, ID, IN, IA, KS, KY, ME, MA, MI, MT, NE, NH, NY, NC, ND, NV, OR, SC, SD, UT, VT, WA, WI, WY
- FPTA pending approval for 12.5 hours of CEUs for PTs and PTAs
- Northeast Seminars (BOC AP#P498) is approved by the Board of Certification, Inc. to provide continuing education to Athletic Trainers. This program is eligible for a maximum of 12.5 Category A hours/CEUs. ATs should claim only those hours actually spent in the educational program.
8:00 am – 4:00 pm
- What’s New In Shoulder Rehabilitation & Surgery
- What Am I Doing Different in Shoulder Rehabilitation
- Clinical examination of the shoulder joint complex
- Clinical Exam (Lab)
- Non-Operative Treatment Rotator Cuff Lesions
- – Impingement Lesion
- – Internal Impingement
- – Full Thickness Cuff Tears
- – Calcific Tendinitis
- Surgerical Techniques to Repair the Rotator Cuff (Guest Faculty or Video Presentation)
- Post-Operative Rehabilitation following Rotator Cuff Repair Surgery
- – Factors which Effect the Rehab Program
- – Is Slower Rehab Better
- – Rehab programs based on patient variables.
- Current Concepts in Shoulder Instability (Management of Bone Loss, Capsular Injuries, Congenital Laxity)
- – New Concepts in Shoulder Instability (GLAD, HAGL Lesions, Hills-Sachs)
- Non-Operative Rehab of Shoulder Instability (Traumatic to Congenital)
- – Congenital Laxity to Traumatic Dislocations
- Surgerical Techniques Shoulder Stabilization Procedures (Guest Faculty)
- Post-Operative Rehab Shoulder Surgery (Bankart, Latarjet, Remplissage, Shifts, & Plications)
- Rehab of SLAP Lesions: Non-Op & Post-Operative Treatment
- – Good SLAP – Bad SLAP
- Case Studies – I have some & participants bring their cases
- Open Discussion & Questions
7:30 am – 2:30 pm
- Scapular Dyskinesis: Recognition & Treatment
- Good Scapula Mobility & Bad Scapula Mobility
- Biceps Brachii Pain: Evaluation & Treatment
- “Not all Biceps Pain is Tendinitis”
- What’s New in the Rehabilitation of the Overhead Athlete (Throwers)
- New concepts in rehab for various specific lesions: hyperinstability, TOS, SLAP, etc…
- Rehabilitation of the Female Athletes Shoulder (Volleyball, Softball, Gymnastics, etc)
- Unique Rehab Concepts for the Unique Patient
- New Concepts in the Return to Play Testing: Criteria Based Progression
- (Overhead Athletes – Collision Athletes)
- Neurocognitive training & testing for the upper extremity patient
- Return to Play Testing & Criteria
- Rehabilitation of the Adhesive Capsulitis Patient & Loss of Motion Patients
- Joint Mobilization, Stretching & Soft Tissue Techniques (Demo & Lab)
- Shoulder Exercises to Promote Shoulder Stabilization & Strength
- Dry Needling for the Shoulder Complex
- Unique & Unusual Case Presentations
- Open Discussion & Questions/Answers
- Course closure
At the completion of the course the participate will be able to:
- Define the anatomy and biomechanics of the shoulder joint complex.
- Design & demonstrate a complete clinical examination of the shoulder & upper quadrant including a thorough
subjective history & physical examination.
- Interpret the information obtained from the clinical examination & functional assessment and develop a treatment plan.
- Demonstrate and organize a functional assessment for specific shoulder & scapulae disorders.
- Demonstrate an understanding of various shoulder joint & scapulothoracic joint disorders & pathologies.
- Understand various surgical procedures of the glenohumeral, scapulothoracic, acrominoclavicular & sternoclavicular joints.
- Design an evidence based medicine treatment approach for various shoulder complex disorders.
- Design & perform a specific return to play or return to work functional assessment
- Analyze specific exercise techniques, such as neurocognitive, strengthening, dynamic stabilization & other forms of exercises and understand joint kinematics and muscular activity & then be able to develop the treatment plan for the appropriate exercises for the specific types of patient.
- Integrate the information presented in this course and demonstrate problem-solving skills through the development of treatment plans of specific case studies presented.
- Design & demonstrate a thorough rehabilitation program for specific elbow injuries.
- Course-related products will be emailed for access the week of the event.
- Certificates of Attendance will be given to all participants and may be used for those who need C.E.U. verification and credits.
- Participants will be required to sign a Release of Liability prior to the commencement of this seminar.
- Location, Instructor, Dates and Cost of seminar are subject to change.
Portions Copyright© Northeast Seminars Inc. All rights reserved.
You may also like…
Course Length: 13.5 Hours
Course Length: 7 - 15 Hours
- Advanced Topics in the Examination, Evaluation and Treatment of the Shoulder and or the Knee is delivered 100% online
- Sign Up Now.....and receive 8 shoulder modules and 7 knee modules when you purchase the…
- $179.00 – $299.00
Course Length: 9.5 Hours